The Ministry of Esoteric Observation was formed in 1907, following the disappearance of Edwin Drood, the then Royal Occultist. Drood, a firm believer in the rational sciences and the observation, classification and regulation of the eldritch and aetheric, privately supported the formation of a governmental body to deal with what had, until then, been the sole province of the Queen’s Conjurer. 

Ministry supervisor and Charles St. Cyprian at the Siege of Ylourgne, 1918

Whether this support was more due to Drood’s patriotic concern for proper oversight or his public and vocal dissatisfaction with his unorthodox instalment into the offices by Aylmer Beamish following the so-called ‘Flesh Engines’ Incident of 1880, it cannot be speculated.

Regardless, the Ministry, while small at first, wielded (and still wields) influence out of proportion with its size and oversight budget. As the world grows smaller and more complex, many in His Majesty’s government feel that final authority concerning occult matters should be held not by one man, but by an organization of dedicated civil servants, who can be better prevailed upon to put the good of the nation first, and dedication to obsolete and eldritch and, frankly, heathen, matters, second.

While Drood’s successor Carnacki often clashed with the Ministry in matters magical, his successor, Charles St. Cyprian, has worked with the Ministry on more than one occasion, including the Seeley Affair and the so-called ‘Jagtooth Lane Horror’ of 1921 and the 1922 Embankment Station Incident.